Monday, October 14, 2013

Clean Eating Butternut Squash Casserole

I will be the first to admit that my palette would tends to be comparable to my 3 year old who constantly requests quesadillas and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Before my weight loss surgery, I didn't eat many...ok...I never ate veggies. Butternut squash was not only something new I wanted to cook with, but to be honest, it was a new taste for me as well. 

For this recipe you will need:
1 Butternut Squash
1 Sweet Yellow Onion (Chopped)
2 Tbs. Coconut Oil
3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1 Piece toasted bread (I used some leftover Clean Eating Crockpot Bread)
Optional:
Ground Cinnamon
1 Cinnamon Stick


 First thing I did was cut the Butternut Squash in half from top to bottom. 
 After Spooning out the seeds & putting the halves in a baking dish, 
 I put about 1-2 inches of water in the bottom of the pan, threw in a cinnamon stick, and sprinkled the squash with some fine cinnamon also.
 I grabbed the leftover Clean Eating Crockpot Bread I had and crumbled it into a baking pan. Toasted it at 350 until it started to brown up a bit. (about 5-10 mins maybe?)
 After I pulled my toasted bread crumbs out of the oven, I put my Butternut Squash in and let them go for about an hour.
Once they were cooked through, I let them cool and spooned out the insides tossing out the skins.
In a pan, I heated up 2 tbs. of Coconut Oil, added my Garlic and JUST before it started to brown, I added my onions until they were transparent.
Then, I mixed the Garlic/Onion Mixture into my Squash.
..Topped it with my bread crumbs & put it back in the oven for about 25-30 mins.
I served it up with some Cinnamon Creamy Chicken (that I will post the recipe for later) and a Kale salad with some walnuts, dried cranberries & a little italian dressing. 

As for nutritional information, per www.myfitnesspal.com, the following was my results. Please note that this is just an estimate. The nutritional value of your meal will vary depending on the ingredients you choose & portions you add. It should be used as a guide and not a definite. Happy eating loves!
  
              
                                              Calories         Carbs        Fat       Protein     Sodium   Sugar
Total:602932892633
Per Serving:100165246



No comments:

Post a Comment