Monday, September 30, 2013

Clean Eating Crockpot Bread


Today I decided I was going to try and make my own bread. I am so tired of having to drag myself to the store so the kids can have sandwiches for lunch when the bread is so processed and who knows what's really in it. I've never made bread in my life..not even in a bread maker so I was a little nervous I was going to be crafting a wheat rock..
The recipe makes about a 1.5lb loaf of bread (don't make any less..you'll be sad when it's gone) :)
You will need:
  • 1 1/4 cup of Unsalted Almond Milk
  • 1tsp Yeast
  • 1tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2tbs Honey
  • 3/4tsp Salt
  • 1 small handful of Chia seeds, Oats, something to give the top a little something extra (You don't have to if you don't want to, but I like the added crunch.)
IMG_1964
IMG_1965
I was lucky enough to have a mixer my mother in law passed down when she upgraded (I'm a sucker for a freebie) so I tossed all the ingredients in the mixing bowl and set it to "Fold" until all of the dough came together. While gave it a minute or two to get settled, I grabbed my crock pot and turned it on the low setting.  
I line the bottom of my crockpot with tin foil, take 1tbsp of coconut oil and spread it on the tin foil then took my dough and placed it on the center of my coconut oil slip and slide..for bread.
I took a small handful of Chia Seeds..(you know I take care of you..if you haven't heard about the magical Chia Seeds yet, clicky here. ;) ) anyways..I just sprinkled the seeds on top to give my loaf a little extra crunch.
IMG_1967
Now I put the lid on and walked away for the recommended 1.5 hours...
Well, at the 1.5 hour mark my loaf was still pretty doughy in the middle. Now I'm not a baker, or even a chef..so my only un-educated guess would be that maybe the swaps I made caused a longer bake time? Long story short..my bread wasn't ready until around the 2.5 hour mark.
A little longer than what I expected..but the wait was SO worth it..
IMG_1974
IMG_1975
And a little look at the loaf all sliced up:
This bread is AWESOME. It was just a tad sweet from the honey..but not in a sweet bread kind of way..it was just delicious. It came out a little dense, but my younger brother said it reminds him of the bread they serve at Outback Steakhouse and I agree. My husband who hates wheat bread loved it! It was so easy and so tasty that it just might have taken out it's store bought distant cousins. :) Go try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment