Friday, October 18, 2013

Clean Eating Shrimp Tacos With Cabbage, Onions, & Chipotle Cream Sauce


As a stay at home mom, there are little to no days where my husband and I can sit down and have a nice dinner with just us two. Luckily, this weekend our 3 year old is camping with my mom and my 3 step babies are at their mom's house so I decided to make a celebratory meal for just the two of us. Seeing as how one of my FAVORITE cheat meals is usually Rubio's Fish Tacos, I decided I would clean it up and make tacos for us.

For this recipe you will need:

For the Tacos:
10 oz. Medium Raw Shrimp (Peeled & Deveined)
1 Medium Sweet Onion Sauteed in 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
1/4 Small Red Cabbage (Finely Chopped)
1/2 Tbs Olive Oil
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
1-2 Tsp Paprika
Juice of 1/2 Lime
Corn Tortillas

For the Chipotle Sauce:
1 Cup Greek Yogurt
1 Tbs. Chipotle in Adobo
1 Tsp Lime Juice
1 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Salt

I started with the Chipotle Sauce. I put all of the ingredients into a food processor and blended it until it was all smooth.
 Do you like my fancy container? The husband and I call our paper plates and plastic containers "Fine China." To be honest, if it wasn't for photographic appeal, most of the meals I prepare would be on "fine china." With 4 kids, it's easier. :) ANYWAYS, this stuff is SPICY. We love spicy, but if you are going to be feeding this recipe to little ones, make sure you taste it first. You can add less chipotle, or add more greek yogurt, but this was perfect for us. (And it made a ton)

Once the sauce was in the fridge to set a little bit, I chopped up 1/4 of my cabbage and set it aside. Then I chopped up my onion and sautéed it in 1 Tbs of coconut oil. (Didn't take a pic of that sorry!)
While my onion was being sautéed, I tossed my shrimp in 1/2 Tbs of olive oil, the juice of 1/2 a lime, a pinch of salt, pepper, and 1 Tsp of paprika. I cooked the shrimp over high heat for about 3-5 mins. They turn a pink/orang-ish color when they're done.
I also picked up some canned black beans to make my life easier and because I love beans. To make them taste less like canned beans and more like homemade, I added 2 cloves minced garlic and 1 tsp of oregano, a pinch of salt and pepper. It was a nice way to put the fire out from the chipotle sauce on the tacos ;)
Here are my little tacos all assembled. I used about 1/2 Tbs. of Sauce on each taco and it was just enough. The tacos were spicy, and crunchy, and the sweet onion was such a nice addition to them. As a thank you for the dinner the hubby took me out for a walk around Trader Joes & some Frozen Yogurt. :) I'm a lucky, lucky lady. Hope you guys enjoy!


As for nutritional information, please note that this is just an estimate. The nutritional value of your meal will vary depending on the ingredients you choose & portions you add. It should be used as a guide and not a definite. The following is for the taco (excluding the tortilla)
TACOS


No comments:

Post a Comment