Monday, September 30, 2013

Vegetable Tian



Guys......guys......I've been busy in the kitchen this morning as my two year old is wreaking havoc at my mom's house and my husband is working overtime. I've done research for a few blog posts (that will be coming soon) and was originally going to save this post for another day but it is SO good I can't even...I want to scream it from the top of Mount Rubidoux, but it's hot and I'm too lazy to hike to the top today.
Ah yes! The recipe! Today I decided that since my lovely husband is hard at work on a Saturday bringing home the "bacon" if you will..I would bring him a nice dinner so he didn't have to grab some fast food during his shift. After poking through my fridge I decided I would make some grilled chicken breast with vegetable tian by the fabulous Ina Garten. Now, I've seen many a pin with variations on this dish, but my favorite is just a tad different than the "original" and can be found at For the Love of Cooking.
For this recipe you will need:
  • 2tbs of Olive Oil (1 for sautéing & 1 to drizzle on top
  • 1/2 Yellow Onion (Diced)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
  • 1-2 Russet Potatoes (Unpeeled)
  • 1 Zucchini
  • 1 Squash
  • 3 Large Roma Tomatoes
  • Sea Salt, Pepper & Thyme to taste
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
Mouth watering yet? First step is to dice the onion and sauté it in 1tbs of olive oil for about 8 minutes or until they are transparent. Once they are ready to go, add your two garlic cloves and let it go for another minute or so. Transfer the yummy mix that has certainly made your house smell gloriously nummy to your baking dish. (Make sure to spray some non-stick cooking spray in that bad boy so you can get all of the dish out later.)
IMG_1969
The recipe is for one baking dish, but I wanted something more individualized and pretty so I used my little ramekins..because...cute.
IMG_1971
                              
While the onions were cooking I was busy slicing up about 1/4 of an inch sections of my veggies. Now, I was just cooking two servings so I used 2 Roma tomatoes, 1 medium zucchini and 1 medium squash. INSTEAD of a few Russet potatoes, I opted to use 1 medium sweet potato. I am OB-sessed with these fantastic sweet and savory yums and they are stinking good for you too! You can learn more about the benefits of sweet potatoes here. But since The sweet potato was a tad large for my ramekins I just laid two slices of it on top of the onion & garlic mixture.
IMG_1972
Now you get to assemble the zucchini, squash and tomato in a circular pattern and drizzle that bad boy with your remaining tbs of olive oil.
IMG_1973
Don't forget the salt, pepper & thyme!
IMG_1976
Cover the dish (or in my case, dishes) with tin foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. After 30-40 minutes remove the tin foil and sprinkle with your 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. *DROOL*
IMG_1982
Pop that back in the oven uncovered for another 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
Let me take you on a little side trip before the unveiling...I said earlier I decided to make 2 cute ramekins full of tian goodness..remember? WELL..as I took #1 out of the oven (shortly after this photo..)
IMG_1986
I DROPPED THE DANG RAMEKIN!!!!! I was so bummed. It was comparable to when a child loses a balloon..
cry
The purest form of heartbreak.
After I wiped my tears and the floor of my kitchen, I pulled the surviving tian out of the oven CAREFULLY and set up a "to-go" dinner for the hubby.
IMG_1987
On the menu: Grilled chicken, vegetable tian, honeydew melon, and some clean eating crockpot bread I made this morning.
IMG_1993
Hope you like it babe! ;) See you soon!
As for today's workout..It's time to work on these guns!! Head over here to get some!!

No comments:

Post a Comment