Monday, September 30, 2013

Blueberry Corn Meal Muffins

The other day Brandon was searching the kitchen for something sweet and since I had a snack time approaching, I decided I would try a recipe I saw on The Gracious Pantry for Blueberry Corn Muffins.
The recipe makes 12 muffins and calls for:
  • 1 3/4 cups organic corn meal (Organic is always best)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup applesauce (Unsweetened)
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup Unsalted Almond Milk
  • 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
I started by pre-heating the oven to 425 degrees and mixing up my dry ingredients first to get them incorporated well.
IMG_2015
Then, I added the wet ingredients and mixed it all up..
IMG_2017
I added the blueberries JUST before I spooned the batter into the muffin tins (that I sprayed with non stick coconut oil) to keep the batter from turning completely blue. You're always going to get some degree of color bleed when using frozen, but the less you move the fruit around, the less you will have.
IMG_2018
See? Not too much. :) Then I popped the bad boys in the oven for 10 minutes. (You want the tops to brown..)
IMG_2020
After letting them brown on top for about 10 mins, I took them out of the oven, covered them with some tin foil and popped them back in for another 10. If you don't cover with foil they WILL burn on top. This is what they looked like after the second round of 10 mins in the oven after I removed the foil..
IMG_2022
I transfered them to a baking rack to cool and then served them up for me and my littlest taste tester..
IMG_2023
IMG_2024
These were super yummy. The baby and I both loved them warm out of the oven but they were also good the next day..and the next :) The corn meal gives them a very interesting texture..it's like a little corn bread muffin with blueberries. Two things that I love rolled into one delicious, muffin sized package. What are you waiting for? Go eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment