Monday, October 7, 2013

Turkey & Spinach Meatballs

Every once in a while I will crave italian food with every fiber of my being. Not even the good stuff that you would find at a restaurant that requires men to wear a jacket, has an older gentlemen softly playing a mandolin in front of a velvet curtain, and is navigable purely by the dim candle at each table. No, I'm talking about the "Tour of Italy" garbage you get at the microwave capital of the industry, The Olive Garden. (I know...I can't help it.) Well, I recently had the craving hit and I knew I needed to do something about it in a healthy fashion to keep myself from scarfing a bowl of deep fried lasagna or something. After searching the cabinets and realizing I had the ingredients to make my own pasta sauce, I pulled some ground turkey I had in the fridge and got the party started. 

For this recipe you will need:

1 package of Lean Ground Turkey
1/2 - 1 cup Spinach (washed and dried well)
1/2 cup Mozzarella (If you wish..I had a special request from the wee ones)
Salt, Pepper to taste
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and take your Turkey
 Plus Mozzarella 
 Plus Spinach
 Plus Salt, Pepper, and Red Pepper Flakes and rollllllllllll them into little balls. Whatever size you prefer. 
 My one package of ground turkey made about 20 perfectly sized meatballs. Pop those bad boys in the oven for about 30-35 mins and then check them out. We like ours a little crispy so they stayed in the oven for close to 40-45 mins after flipping them at 30.
 About an hour before I started the meatball process, I had thrown together a quick little sauce and let it simmer while they were cooking. I had some whole wheat pasta in the pantry that I cooked, sliced up some clean chia bread, and made a little kale side salad to round out the meal.
 The meatballs came out wonderful. They were browned on the outside and SUPER juicy on the inside. Super flavorful, and the whole meal was exactly what I needed to get my mind off Italian food bad habits.....for the time being. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment