Monday, September 30, 2013

Zucchini Boats

Last week I kind of cringed when I realized it was about time for me to start dinner. I watch a friend’s daughter while she is at work so my day starts at 5:00 A.M. 3 days a week which can make for an almost torturous long, tired, grumpy day..especially when the rest of the day includes playing taxi for my step children, maid at home, body builder (ha!), and chef.
I’m not a chef of any sort, but I would certainly like to think that I know my way around a kitchen. I didn’t have anything planned and needed something put together rather quickly so I grabbed some veggies to base my meal around and ended up grilling up some chicken. But nobody cares about boring old chicken..let me tell you about the zucchini boats I made.
It was just me and the hubby eating the zucchini so I took 1 medium/large one, cleaned it, and sliced the ends off and then cut it in half length wise. I then spooned out the insides leaving about 1/4 of an inch still inside. I took the scoopings and tossed them in a mixing bowl & placed the zucchini “boats” in a baking dish I sprayed with coconut oil and lightly sprayed the zucchini before putting them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
IMG_2056
While those were in the oven, I took my mixing bowl with the scooping and added:
  • 1 diced medium yellow onion
  • 2-3 diced roma tomatoes
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of spinach
  • 2 cloves of diced garlic
  • 1tbs parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste
and mixed them together.
I had cooked rice in the fridge from earlier, so after laying a thin layer of that in the bottom of my boats I topped them, and surrounded them (you can never have too much tomato, spinach, or onion right?) with the contents of my mixing bowl and topped them with some grated parmesan.
IMG_2059
I put them back in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 mins. (Just watch for the onions and tomato to brown up a bit and you’re good to go. I completely forgot to take a photo of them out of the oven because we were hungry and they smelled SO good.
For it being a quick thrown together kind of “side dish” (we both agreed this is good enough for a main dish very soon.) it was actually super yummy and filling. The kind of good that makes you ignore your chicken. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment