Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yia Yia's Greek Green Beans (Clean Version)

There have been so many changes in my life since I lost my Yia Yia to Pancreatic Cancer. I've gotten married to a man she would have loved, and had a son who will never know exactly how amazing she was first hand. People say that time heals all wounds, but even all these years later, I find myself sobbing uncontrollably when I think about not having her here.
One thing that I could always count on was that when I went to Yia Yia's house, I was going to eat..and I was going to eat SO GOOD. A Southern Greek woman with kitchen skills that would put any Food Network Chef to shame. There are times when I am feeling a little down, or not feeling well at all and that's when I love to crack open my recipe book and make something that my Yia Yia would have made for me. It makes me feel like maybe she's not so far away..like she never really left at all.

Wasn't she beautiful?

For this cleaned up recipe you will need:
2 to 2.5 Lbs Fresh Green Beans (Cut to about 1 inch long)
1 Large Yellow Onion (Chopped)
1 Tbs. Minced Garlic
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
2-3 Large Tomatoes (Diced and crushed) - Yia Yia used 1 Can of Contadena Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 Tbs. Oregano
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste
In a medium to large pan, heat up the garlic and onion in the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the onions are more of a clear color and have softened up, add the green beans, oregano, salt and pepper and tomatoes. Mix the ingredients to blend them together and add your bay leaves to the pot. You're going to need to take them out before you eat later so I always try and keep them peeking out just a tad so they are easy to find later. Bring to a low boil then lower the heat to juuuuuust a simmer. Cover and simmer for 45 mins. 

Now, I apologize for the terrible phone picture, but I have been having camera difficulties lately, thus the lag in posts. Things should be up and running again soon though. 



As for nutritional information, please note that this is just an estimate. The nutritional value of your pie will vary depending on the ingredients you choose & portions you add. It should be used as a guide and not a definite. Happy eating loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment